#bbcinterview with @pastelteacher

  - First tell us about yourself.
I'm 29 years old, a twin (people always think that's quite cool. It's always my favourite when they ask boy or girl and I say my twin is a boy. People STILL say are you identical? How though?) and I'm a teacher. I have been teaching for 5 years. I have been in the same school since I qualified. I have taught in Year 3 for three years and Year 2 for two years. I lead Computing, RE and the curriculum at my school. I have a huge passion for reading and writing. Picture books are my favourite things to share with my children. I haven't mentioned cats yet, so I'm sure you'll be happy about that...

-          You made it so far...
-          1. Why teaching? What would you be if you weren't a teacher?
I've always wanted to help people or do something that supports people. Growing up, I wanted to be a police officer - helping the community. I'm not entirely sure why since every little thing frightens me and I daren't even go for a walk in the dark so I changed my mind. I went on a placement in college at my old Junior school. I ended up being with my brother's Year 6 teacher and I loved every minute of it. She had this natural flare with the children and her personality made the children laugh. And after that, I knew that's what I wanted...
Although, I would absolutely love to do anything involving working with animals. I think it'd be pretty cool to work at a sanctuary of some sort… maybe rehabilitating foxes or hedgehogs.
-          2. What advice would you give for newcomers to twitter?
My advice would be to be yourself. To share things you believe in or things that you are proud of. Everyone has an opinion and that's ok. Not everyone will agree with you and that's ok. We don't have to believe in the same things or be passionate about the same things. And please, please, please don't worry about followers.
-          I can guess but... 3. What are your passions?
Hahaha! Well, I'll just stick to teaching and not talk about cats shall I?
I am really passionate about reading. I love how there has been a huge emphasis on reading in the last five years and I've enjoyed being a part of the journey in how it is taught in our school. I love supporting authors, who aren't as 'well known' and getting their books out there. I am thoroughly obsessed with picture books and I completely blame Simon Smith and Jane for this! I absolutely adore reading books to my class and this is something that I've continued to do during this pandemic. It's completely different, but the feedback from children and parents has been so positive.
I am also passionate about teaching 'without the glass ceiling' to quote my main gal, Jane! I believe in activities that allow all children to succeed and be challenged. I know everyone says this, but I still hear of schools who do not teach this way.
And finally, I am extremely passionate about my learning environment. I know not everybody agrees with displays (I know Maaria will back me up here though as she's very similar to me), but I love having them and doing them! If I am being honest, I have found I have put less and less 'time' in with them in recent terms, but they still look just as lovely and they are still something I am extremely proud of when we have visitors. I just really love showcasing their work. I find it boosts their confidence and I love seeing them smile at them everyday! My working walls aren't as pretty or glam. I do use them properly as ‘working’ walls and that sometimes looks a little messy… but, I do buy Laura Ashley wallpaper to make it look prettier than notes / pictures / random scribbles from lessons – hahaha! I make myself laugh. Laura Ashley wallpaper? I wonder if this will ever stop!
-          What will you do now they are in administration?
Laura Ashley are in administration????? Well, this has ruined my day.
-          4. What has been your favourite lesson ever?
Hmm. My favourite lesson ever. This is quite tricky. I'll have to say a sequence of lessons if that counts? I’m going to talk about a sequence anyway because I’m a maverick.
Last year, I did a sequence of lessons around ‘The Tear Thief’. I don’t know if you’ve ever read this book, but it is an absolute must read! I explored page by page using inference and prediction skills (thanks to Jane – again). The children were immediately hooked and invested in this character. They created a missing person poster and the language the children used was incredible.
As the end result, we wrote an alternative chapter to the story. What the children produced at the end of the sequence made it for me. I was so happy with what they came up with. Sooo, I guess that was my favourite lesson. My children loving a book and writing their own version of it.
I did forget to mention that writing is probably my biggest passion about teaching, but I’ve just slipped it in now… that counts, right?

-          5. Who should play you in the film of your life?

I think Lauren Graham because her personality is very much me! Not many people will know who she is but she’s Lorelei from Gilmore Girls. I’d love to say Miley Cyrus but she’s definitely cooler than me!

-          As someone who is currently watching Hannah Montana (against my will), I disagree.

I am going to take that Ben and run with it! Does that mean you think I'm cooler than Miley Cyrus? I have absolutely loved rewatching that!

-          If that’s your yardstick. I’d say on a par. And be advised that I don’t think she is cool.

Well, you’re wrong, like usual.



-          6. What is the best/worst teaching advice you’ve heard?

The best advice I've been given is probably that there'll never be a time where you feel like you know everything and that's ok. I'm always striving to be better and learn new things.



My headteacher once said to me that the best teachers don't believe they're the best and I think that's definitely some good advice.

It's harder to remember the worst advice. Someone once told me that NQTs should apply for any job in any school because they just need the experience. I just don't agree with that. You need to find the right school for you. A bad experience could change someone's life completely and put them off teaching. So yeh, probably that...

-          7. If you were an inanimate object, what would you be?

I would be a bookmark! I could still read books and see the joy they bring children and adults. I know that’s cringe but Emma already said a cat so I can’t really copy...

-          Plus it’s an erroneous answer.

That’s a good word, Ben! I’m going to bookmark that!

                - Ba dum tish

- 8. What's your most controversial opinion?

Humans shouldn’t drink cow’s milk.

-          9. Which 4 living people would you invite to dinner?

Miley Cyrus, Lauren Graham, Holly Marie Combs and Ryan Gosling!

-          10. What would you like to be remembered for?

I definitely don’t want to be remembered for my argumentative tendencies that for sure! I’d like to be remembered for how much I care! How much I care about the planet, animals and some humans (haha)!

-          Finally….Who would you nominate for an interview?

Katherine Ng-Bell! She’s absolutely smashing life! Assistant head and leads every single subject going! She’s on maternity at the moment and is the best mother.

-          Nice one.

Thank you, Ben!

Comments

  1. I have found so many interesting thing in your blog and I really love that. Windermere Tutoring Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A bbc interview with Ashley Booth @mrboothY6

A bbc Interview with Beth Bennett

#bbcInterview with @mrlockyer