A bbc Interview with Lindsey Bailey @lindseybailey


Lindsey Bailey is a former Primary Teacher, writer and the founder of Story Chefs offering ´fun & interactive creative writing workshops for primary aged children´. (Found on Facebook.com/Storychefs or storychefs.co.uk). She had 9 years of class teacher experience in schools in London, Dubai & the West Midlands before coming out of the classroom full time in April this year to spread my love of reading and writing for pleasure far and wide.

What made you become a teacher?

         - I always knew I wanted to do something with words and considered both journalism and teaching as careers. I decided to travel for a few years before making a decision and the more I travelled, the more I realised I wanted to inspire a love
of learning in young people the way my teachers did for me.


What has been best thing you have done at work this year?

         - The best thing I've done is take the big step from trialling my Story Chefs creative writing workshops to offering them to schools as a resource.  The young people who took part in the trials  over the last few years have helped shape the workshops and given them their stamp of approval which is very important to me.


What is the most frustrating thing about teaching at the moment?

         - One of the most frustrating things for me and many other educators is the SATs and the unnecessary pressure that many children feel because of them. I worry that the love of learning that teachers work so hard to encourage is being dampened by this type of formal testing looming around every corner particularly for year 2 and year 6. The level of anxiety about 'failing' is very real for some children and I think primary education needs to be about celebrating how young people learn and giving them the tools to find out what they need to know next rather than test scores and a pass/fail culture.


What songs would be on your driving to work playlist?

         - Rihanna - Diamonds
Rag n Bone man - Human
And when in need of a particularly chilled out sound
- Ludovico Einaudi - I Giorni (https://youtu.be/P2K7D-uMH2g )


If you weren´t a teacher, what would you be and why?

         - My first ambition at primary school was to be a lollipop lady as our one was always so happy so I might just do that one day! But before then I hope to be a published poet/author & to continue to promote the benefits of reading & writing to all.


What are you passionate about (teaching-related or not)?

         - I am passionate about books and their magic. Stories have always held such excitement for me and I love to escape, explore and evolve through reading. Teaching young people has helped me to hone this passion and I love sharing it with others.

As well as writing for pleasure, I am also passionate about writing therapeutically - whether writing diaries, letters or poetry, there's an alchemy that happens through this process and it has certainly helped me through good and bad times. Writing has helped me to understand myself and others better and has enabled me to grow as a person.

And finally (I'll keep it to just three) I am passionate about finding my purpose in life and helping others to find theirs. I seem to have a knack for helping people to see what their passion is - whether it's interior designing or cooking if it's something that lights you up then you're on the right track.

Whatever work you are passionate about, that's your purpose!


What is the most effective resource/technology/app you use in the classroom?

- I think images are one of the most effective tools I've used in the classroom to engage young people in creative writing. Whether using landscape snaps from my own travels or some of the fabulous online resources on offer such as  pobble365.com , literacyshed.com  and onceuponapicture.co.uk , images plus some thought provoking questions really ignites imaginations.


If you had to pick 4 people (Twitter or otherwise) to invite to a dinner party who
would it be and why?

- Okay it's going to have to be an all women party if I can only have four: J.K Rowling, Jacqueline Wilson, Malala  Yousafzai & Oprah Winfrey.



What is the best and worst advice you have been given as a teacher?

         - Best advice: eat well, sleep well, exercise and take time for yourself outside of work.

Worst advice: Don't smile until Christmas.


If you could choose one person who you´d love to have the bbc interview treatment, who would it be and why?

I would love to see Rob Smith of Literacy Shed fame interviewed here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bbc interview with Ashley Booth @mrboothY6

A bbc Interview with Beth Bennett

#bbcInterview with @mrlockyer