#bbcinterview with @lwilliamsjones


-          First, tell us about yourself.

33, Welsh living in Kent. Work as an Assistant Head in a 2 and half form entry school. Been teaching 10 years. Lead on Maths but have a passion for the curriculum too. Am well into music, rugby and gaming

-          1. Why teaching? What would you be if you weren’t a teacher?

So if I wasn’t a teacher, I might well have pursued a career as a professional rugby player. Played up to a decent level then got injured in my early 20s which effectively ended that . If not, would love a career as a singer/ songwriter

I was in uni doing media and politics thinking about some sort of career in the media. I was a bit of a lost sheep and I remember sitting in my room in my final weeks thinking right - what can I do that could be put to use in a profession?! Music, sport so on - it was a lightbulb moment - I literally stood up and went ‘of course primary teaching’ then I thought back to Kevin Phellps - my legend of a Y6 teacher and realised this dude inspired me

-          2. What advice would you give for newcomers to twitter?

I would say get stuck in this is one of the most powerful platforms in our industry to help you grow, no matter what point in your career. Debate fairly and listen, cull the nonsense noise.

-          3. What are your passions?

Music - writing and performing. Research informed practice. Curriculum - developing breadth and quality

-          4. What has been your favourite lesson ever?

I would say a source history lesson on the demise of the Maya civilisation, looking at NASA satellite images and pollen samples to tease out the concept of deforestation and its effects, and getting children to interrogate sources.

-          5. Who should play you in the film of your life?

Ideal - Tom Hardy (putting on weight for the role.



Reality- Nick Frost

-          6. What is the best/worst teaching advice you’ve heard?

Best - The minute you’ve accepted you are the finished product is the minute you secure the fact that you never will be.

Worst - As long as you’re fun and engaging, that’s all that matters



-          7. If you were an inanimate object, what would you be?

I think maybe a Capo

-          Care to explain?

So I guess two fold here. One I’m not a good enough guitarist to transpose quickly so it’s always capo time also I guess it represents the fact I’m pretty flexible and willing to adapt to get the best result

-          Very deep.

-          8. What's your most controversial opinion?

Probably that I don’t think group work is useful most of the time (not all) as there is just too much room for coasters and ‘do nothingers’

-          9. Which 4 living people would you invite to dinner?

Willie John McBride, Dylan William, Tom Hanks, Stewart Lee

-          An interesting mix.

-          10. What would you like to be remembered for?

Crikey that’s a hard one

Remembered for bringing a bit of enjoyment to a few folk through the music I made I guess.



-          Finally….Who would you nominate for an interview?

Nominate Kieran Mackle

@Kieran_M_Ed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bbc interview with Ashley Booth @mrboothY6

A bbc Interview with Beth Bennett

#bbcInterview with @mrlockyer