Love In The Time Of Twitterspats

Oh Twitter, you strange beast. I've been using Twitter properly for the past 18 months. In that time I feel like my eyes have been opened to a whole new world (cue Disney Song). My teaching has improved vastly, and I feel connected to Educators from around the world. I've attended conferences, spoken at a TeachMeet, and met so many wonderful people.

The positives of using Twitter as an Educator are endless: the people, the resources, the ideas, the sounding boards. However, it does remind me of a School Playground at times. Recently I've become more and more aware of groups of Educators who constantly fall out with each other, pick sides and generally cause a fuss.

Frankly, they should know better. Twitter is open for anyone to see, and no pseudonym is foolproof. I always advise my pupils that they shouldn't post anything on Social Media that they wouldn't want their Grandma to see, and the same advice would go for adults too. There have been times when I'm flabbergasted at the ignorance, the personal comments and the rudeness of some people.

In those moments I am so glad that when I first entered Twitter as a dewy-eyed, Egg-shaped newbie, I stumbled upon some of the kindest, most caring people I've met. So much that's good about Twitter is plain to see. Edu-Chats formed much of my early exposure and I've made friends with some wonderful people, mainly through Primary Rocks, but also taking part in @Dorastar1 's mischeivous 'Summerofmildrebellion' last year.

This short post is dedicated to those open, funny, friendly, caring Educators out there that take criticism with a pinch of salt, find humour in our stressful jobs, and generally share the love. You know who you are. 

If you are new to Twitter and find yourself lost in a sea of Prog/Trad/Michaela angst, just follow these three simple rules:
1. Find people that are interesting and share your interests
2. Read what they have to say, comment (or just lurk), but learn from what you see
3. Block anyone who treats other people rudely or attacks someone for no reason.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bbc interview with Ashley Booth @mrboothY6

A bbc Interview with Beth Bennett

#bbcInterview with @mrlockyer